Near L'Anse aux Meadows

Near L'Anse aux Meadows
Near L'Anse aux Meadows

Thursday, October 7, 2010


Day6 = sept 17

Out of sequence- trying to sort out the chaos ;-)

Nothing too eventful.  Still raining.  I got the ferry dock about 2 hours early, checked in, parked, and started to explore.  I was told to pull to the front of the line, which is marked as a handicapped area.  I parked and walked about 200 yds away and a very official looking dude pulled up to my bike, looked around, and started taking on a radio and writing down my license plate info.  I ran back to the bike, asking him if I was parked in the right place.  He said no problem, I should get ready to load.  10 minutes later, they had me load almost 90 minutes before everybody else.  


 I had lots of time to explore the boat before the crowd arrived.  Here are the dorm sleepers



As it turned out, the boat was almost empty.  Maybe 100 passengers, I think the boat can handle 2000(??).  



 It was rainy & hazy for the entire crossing.  I did get to see some tuna or jacks jumping as they chased their prey.  



We were close to 2 hours late getting to NF.  The ferry in front of us had some trouble and couldn’t clear the dock for us.  I planned on a 5:30pm arrival, which would have given me plenty of time to find a campsite during daylight.  It was still raining and getting dark when we got in.  I asked a deck hand where I could find a room with out breaking the bank.  I took his advice, and got one of the last rooms available in Pt aux Baques, $100 – ouch.  The dining room was closing (long story), so I got the last available dinner, which turned out to be a pretty good stuffed chicken breast & potatoes which I ate in the bar.  No dark beer :-((

I made good use of the room to dry my stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment