Near L'Anse aux Meadows

Near L'Anse aux Meadows
Near L'Anse aux Meadows

Friday, October 1, 2010


Sept 23
I headed out to whatever point is past Stevenville- it’s former French territory, traded to the Brits in 1904.   I’ll have to fill in the blanks in my memory from my pictures.  Another beautiful ride!  Tall cliffs with big seas crashing in.   


At the end of the road is another burned down light house (what did they build them out of ??)  and an old french brick oven used for baking bread.  



I was going mostly into the wind, so I really don’t realize how strong it was.  I parked near the old lighthouse, being careful that the bike would not get blown over.  I walked to some information plaques and got a nasty surprise.  The winds coming over the cliff there were 50+mph, and that was where the turn around was for the road.  Nope, not gonna happen.  No way I’ll keep the bike up at low speed in that kind of wind.  (It was tossing spray over the cliff- maybe 40’ high).  I was able to back the bike far enough to be able to successfully turn around.



I’m in the Codroy campground tonight.  Nice people, and another (sorry if this is getting repetitive) pretty coast and small towns.  I went to the end of another road and took pics of another lighthouse at Cape Anguille, complete with big surf.  The light still belongs to Canada, but the original buildings were sold and are operated as a B&B.  Damn, if I’d had known, I would have stayed there.  I’ve always wanted to stay on a headland with big waves crashing (not in a tent!) 



The horses sure had a nice place to be a horse. 


It was a really good day to not take a ferry trip.  Hopefully tomorrow has less than 10’ seas.




I found a good grocery store and got the fixings for a decent dinner,



 and a really good desert.  


 Enjoyed in my camp for the night.


A big, bright full moon is coming up.  My fingers are freezing, so I’m done typing for the nite.


No comments:

Post a Comment