Near L'Anse aux Meadows

Near L'Anse aux Meadows
Near L'Anse aux Meadows

Monday, October 4, 2010


Sept 25,

Steve picked me up at 9:30 this morning, hot tea for me in hand- off to go fishin’.  Salmon and trout.  We had a bit of a hassle finding a fishing license for me- the dealers have to send the fishing licenses back to the DNR before they are sent hunting licenses.  The leaves are just starting to change color.  Kinda pretty in the fog, light rain, and low hanging clouds.  Of course, I forgot my camera today.  Nuts!

It’s a pretty river and there were plenty of fish.  For all our efforts, Steve caught a nice speckled trout (not in season), and I caught a small rainbow (in season, but he slipped away as I put my hand around him).  Still, it was a great day on the river.   It’s been a long time since I’ve been in waders.  I almost took off down the river during a crossing...

Steve made me fell a bit guilty by buying my fishing license, a couple cups of tea, taking me out for a day, etc.  Thanks for a great day!!

Back at camp, I was hoping to walk to a fish & chips wagon on the corner.  They closed for the season a few days ago.  Next I tried the Lick-a-Chic, they were packed and only have 2 tables.  Must be the service…?  I ended up at a pizza joint in town and ate too much.

At camp again, I did a bit more exploring.  All is forgiven for the high price and camping next to the road after a long soak in one of the private hot tubs.  



 I’m now in their rec center charging my assorting electrical junk.  Still no internet.  Maybe the hurricane messed up something?  I could Google it to find out, if I had Google….

The weather is supposed to be nice for a few days.  Tomorrow is off to the Cabot Trail.  I think I should have done that before NF.  NF is a tough act to follow…  The road to Meat Cove is open again after being washed out by the last hurricane.  A Bailey bridge is in place and the washouts have been (kinda) fixed according to the local beta.

After the Cabot Trail, I’ll start winding my way towards home.  I ticked over 3300 miles for the trip today in my quest for dinner.  The GPS is telling me it’s about 3100km (1900 miles) miles home.  The initial “plan” was about 2000 miles each way, 4000 miles total.  It’s looking like a bit more ;-)   I’m going to have to find an oil change on the road somewhere.  Bikes are HARD on oil- city, hwy, doesn’t matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment