Near L'Anse aux Meadows

Near L'Anse aux Meadows
Near L'Anse aux Meadows

Monday, October 4, 2010


Day 5 = Sept 16

Out of sequence,more complete write up of previous Sept 16 post

The rain stopped last night- beautiful, bright stars came out.  I slept in until about 7:30, and was awoken by my camping neighbor.  I he a really nice, older, Quebecois, who clearly has asthma  or emphysema or something.  Not what I want to listen to while having breakfast.  I’m at a cafĂ©.  It’s nice to have options.  I’ll take a shower, and then I’m off to explore Cape Breton 

I’m back- I ran to Sydney to explore, pick up some groceries, a battery for my heated gear controller, and other sundries. 

I found the site of the first Marconi station.  



Apparently the first on was built near Sydney, but it was unreliable.  2 years later it was rebuilt (better, more powerful, stronger) in Louisbourg, where I didn’t find much yesterday.  Here is what I found today:



I parked in downtown Sydney, a big town for these parts.  Of course, it was raining.   A cruise ship was in town.  I hate being in any town when a ship is in.  Everything is crowded, restaurant service is terrible, etc.  I did have a great sandwich (all organic ;-) with expected terrible service.  I wandered around a bit, and left.  



Here is the magic carpet that will whisk me away to New Found Land tomorrow.




From there, I meandered south thru the center of the island.  At one point I came around a curve and was looking at a solid wall of water falling from the sky about a mile away.  I put on my rain gear in a hurry, and it worked!  The (heavy) rain clouds parted before I got there.  



I passed a few of these signs.



And these made me feel like I was at home.



And finally, this!





I got back to camp, tossed my gear in my tent, and went in search of an eatery.  The nearest is only about a block away.  They close at 8, except when they see me walking in their direction.  Then they close at about 7:40.   Arrgh!  I think I won’t have breakfast there.  The other restaurants in town seem more respectable.  They close at 7 or 7:30.  Bagels & peanut butter for me tonight. 

Oh yeah- my fuel mileage seems to be back to normal.  Last time I filled up I got midgrade and the bike is much happier.  Yea!

No comments:

Post a Comment